CHRISTMAS FOR THE CITY 2016: Wed, Dec 21, 2016
We have been planning Christmas for the City 2016, literally, for 18 months. With the renovations happening at the Benton, we knew that this year would be different....and is it EVER--in more ways than simply the facade!
Read on below for some thoughts each week as we prepare our hearts for such a crucial moment in the life of our community. And read through the serving opportunities under the VOLUNTEER tab to get a sense for what might be a good fit for you!
We look forward to serving with you at CFTC on Dec. 21 or at the Gift Mart on Dec. 17!
PRAY – VOLUNTEER – INVITE
In a year marked with such striking division and unrest, we have an opportunity like no other to welcome the city--literally a cross section of the whole city--to the Benton & Embassy Suites where we earnestly pray that we will all encounter Christ and feel community in way each of us deeply long for and in a moment when we desperately need both.
Please be in prayer about this sacred trust that we have as community members and as the Body of Christ. And take a moment to read over the opportunities to serve together. Hope to see you soon...maybe even Saturday at the Fairgrounds!
Click through the serving opportunities under the VOLUNTEER tab to read more about CFTC and the ways you can pray for leaders, volunteers, resources and the people who will gather in the heart of the city to celebrate Christmas.
So many leaders and volunteers have partnered with us for the past eight years in loving and serving the people who will gather in the heart of the city to celebrate Christmas. We are honored to serve with each of you.
Take a moment to click through the serving opportunities under the VOLUNTEER tab to read more about CFTC. You’ll find many ways to be involved at Christmas for the City on the 21st or at the Gift Mart on 17th.
Think of others in your networks who (like all of us) need to encounter Jesus and feel community and invite them to share this experience with you. So many times, we simply hustle through the season, forgetting to be intentional about investing in the lives of those around us. This is such a great opportunity to welcome such a wide cross-section of the city...don't miss the opportunity to share it with others!
In a year like no other, we hope you’ll join us on the December 21st as the whole city comes together for this unique moment that breaks down walls, builds community and lifts up the name of Jesus.
CFTC Leaders' Gathering, Thursdays in December, 11am-2pm, Benton Convention Center, Lower Level
Many of the leaders will be on-site at the Benton Convention Center during extended lunch hours on Thursdays in December. Enter the building from Cherry Street and look for us.
We are grateful for the 1,000+ volunteers who made CFTC2015 a reality. Check out the video below that was recorded to thank and encourage them last year:
Teams meet throughout the year to plan CFTC. Click on the links under the VOLUNTEER tab above for complete details. Here are the upcoming meetings and descriptions:
- CFTC GIFT MART: The Gift mart will provide an opportunity for parents to buy new or like new toys for their children this Christmas at greatly reduced prices. If you would like to be a part of the planning for the CFTC Gift Mart, contact the Gift Mart team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NON-PROFIT TEAM: After taking some calculated risks the past two on how we achieve the outcome of "increasing connections among the people of our city serving one another in solidarity," a group of non-profit leaders and artists have some great ideas for 2015.
- PERFORMING ARTS TEAM: Music leaders and pastors from across the city will be meeting to plan the performing arts that will take place on the main stage, in The Table, throughout the Benton...and even out onto Fifth Street!
- MAIN MONTHLY CFTC LEADERS MEETING: Leaders from all of the areas of CFTC meet monthly to share updates and collaborate on making this year another strong experience. We also build a lot of great friendships along the way!!
- THE TABLE: In 2014, 4,000 people shared a meal together--people from all backgrounds and walks of life. More than serving people a meal, this group focuses on building community among us while "breaking bread together."
- NORTH POLE VILLAGE TEAMS: Great experiences for the whole family are coming together this year: Hot Cocoa & Cinnamon Roll Room, Greeters and Guides, Santa’s Room, Card Making, River Racing, Live Nativity, Scavenger Hunt, and the Story Room! Sign up on the North Pole Village page to get involved!
- PHOTO STORY PROJECT--VISIONS OF HOPE: A team of artists, project managers and advocates have been working with eight WWII veterans to share their stories in photos. Check the group's Facebook page for the latest.
- CFTC2016 INNOVATION TEAM: 2016 is is not a typo! In June 2015, a separate team began brainstorm what NEXT year’s CFTC looks like. Working with the vision of “creating a meaningful Christmas experience for the whole community,” it can look and feel radically different than the previous years…and we hope it does!
- GIVE: To date, we have received just $16,400 of the donations needed to cover roughly $40,000 in programming expenses budgeted for CFTC2016. You can give online, by text or by check. Complete details on the GIVE tab above. ClickSPONSORSHIP under the Volunteer drop-down menu for sponsor opportunities. Of course, the VAST majority of expenses that would normally be associated with such a huge event for 10,000+ people are covered through in-kind donations and volunteer service.