For the past eight years, local churches, businesses and members of the arts community have come together to throw a free citywide Christmas party that features live music and arts performances, original work by local artists, a make-your-own toy workshop and, Santa Clause. Last year, 1,200+ volunteers welcomed over 10,000 guests for an evening of celebration and community at the Benton Convention Center in downtown Winston-Salem.
Now, as plans are underway for the nineth annual Christmas for the City party and Love Out Loud outreach, organizers say the events are needed more than ever. The entire city is invited to this free Christmas party at the Benton Convention Center, 301 W. Fifth Street, on Wednesday, December 21, 2016, 4-9pm. The Venue will be packed inside and out with activities for all ages including:
- A variety of community-wide choral and instrumental groups
- Kids room with toy workshop, arts and crafts projects and Santa Claus
- A photography project that brings the art from WWII Vets to CFTC2016.
- Multiple performance areas throughout the Benton Convention Center, Embassy Suites and out onto Cherry Street
- Poetry slam featuring local artists and musicians
- Opportunities throughout the building to connect with non-profits and ministries of our city
- The Table invites EVERYONE in the community to share a meal together in solidarity
CFTC is an expression of a wide range of churches from across our city. CLICK HERE for the list of churches working together. CLICK HERE for the non-profits who will be at CFTC to connect with guests. CLICK HERE for contributing businesses.
DESCRIPTIONS OF EACH AREA
LOWER LEVEL OF THE BENTON
- PERFORMING ARTS: Settle in with some coffee, dessert and great music from a wide variety of our city’s musical styles: Gospel, Contemporary Christian, hip-hop, reggaeton, rock, pop, southern Gospel, and Latin music. Connect with others in a relaxed atmosphere of music & community. Watch for the performance schedule on the Main Stage (Piedmont 4), but look for other performers all over the venue!
- NORTH POLE VILLAGE: It’s all about experiencing the simple but powerful joy of Christmas through a wide variety of experiences in Piedmont 2 and 3:
- Make toys & cards
- Race a raft down a river & mine for gems
- Meet Santa & his elves
- Create unique art with the Sawtooth School for Visual Arts
- Sprinkle a cinnamon roll to enjoy
- Snap a photo with friends or family
- Hear the message of Christmas while sharing a cup of hot chocolate with friends
- PoEclectic CAFE: Enjoy coffee, community, and an eclectic line up of artists and musicians. From jazz to spoken word, from folk music to hip hop...the sounds and vibes of PoEclectic Cafe are sure to inspire you.
- NON-PROFIT STATIONS: Look for non-profits and ministries throughout the building for experiences for you and the kids to discover more about their vision and work across the city all year long. CLICK HERE for a list of this year's participating community partners.
- COMMUNITY MURAL: We are creating a pretty cool arts space in the underground tunnel between the Benton Convention Center and the Embassy Suites where a wide variety of artforms will be utilized: painting, projection, community mural, music, and more.
EMBASSY SUITES CONFERENCE SPACE
THE TABLE: Experience the warmth of community: sit down for a simple meal and connect with neighbors from across the city by sharing stories and enjoying Christmas music. Please join us at any time during the evening.
URBAN STREET SCENE: Throughout both buildings and the tunnel, experience the warmth of an “indoor urban street scene." Musicians, poets, carolers, dancers, and even a poetry slam will be filling the halls with the joy of Christmas through their artistic expressions.
THE GATHERING: Visions of Hope featuring the photography of World War II veterans, other artwork, warm acoustic music and a chance to connect with God and one another are all part of a new experience the team is calling "The Gathering." Take a few moments to come away from the hustle and bustle and take a journey. At The Gathering one will discover a display of photos taken by seven local World War II veterans, a divinely inspired art gallery, and a place to sit and reflect on the Christmas season with friends and family.
THE ENCHANTED CHRISTMAS TREE FOREST: At the exit for the entire CFTC experience, enjoy your walk up the steps to Cherry Street through a sparkling Christmas tree forest.